Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I never thought I'd see Charlton Heston as Moses in a campaign ad

Looking at some of the posts and threads in the blogosphere about recent developments in the U.S. presidential campaign, I have reached the following tentative conclusions:
1) Obama's so-called 'dollar bill statement' ("McCain will try to tell you I don't look like other presidents on the dollar bill"), which was apparently a response to a McCain ad that ran back in June, was justifiable but perhaps not politically astute.
2) McCain's ads targeting Obama will backfire. I have just watched a video of the ad called "The One" on youtube. This ad, according to this post, is supposed to lead evangelicals to draw a connection between Obama and the anti-Christ. To me the ad just seems ludicrous -- especially the clip of Charlton Heston as Moses parting the Red Sea -- but then, I'm not an evangelical Christian. Still, I cannot believe that this ad will sway anyone except a certain percentage of those who buy the best-selling novels about the end times and Armageddon. (One hopes that many of them do not vote.)

No comments: