Monday, January 20, 2014

MLK Day note

Before MLK Day ends, I thought I'd mention (since I don't think I've mentioned it before, though could be wrong) that last August I went downtown for the Saturday march/event/happening commemorating the 50th anniv. of the '63 march on Washington. I missed the actual march that Saturday but saw the crowds of people on its extended peripheries and the MLK memorial (which I hadn't been to before despite its relative proximity). The bust is striking. The language chiseled on the side, which sparked controversy because of the truncated way it had been excerpted from a speech and is being (or has already been) changed, was pretty easy to more-or-less overlook amid the sea of people. The day was quite a scene, and I'm fairly sure MLK would have liked it.      

No comments: