Friday, March 1, 2013

Obama uses misuses a Star Wars expression

In answering questions about the sequester in his news conference today, the Pres. said he could not do "a Jedi mind meld" with Boehner and McConnell but could only make the best possible case for his position and appeal to them (though he did not phrase it exactly this way) to put country above narrower considerations. This must be the first time a U.S. president has used an expression from Star Wars in a news conference (or, probably, any other public setting of comparable seriousness), and I trust the gravity and importance of this development will receive the extended analysis and celebration that it deserves from our friends at the Duck.

P.s. Vulcan not Jedi. Yes. Shd have thought first, posted later.

P.p.s. This is the second time in two days that I've had occasion to reflect it's lucky degrees can't be revoked for subsequent displays of stupidity. 

3 comments:

ProfPTJ said...

The title here ought to be "Obama misuses a Star Wars expression." "Mind meld" is a Vulcan thing, hence Star Trek. Jedi are of course Star Wars. If the president wants to geek out, he should get his franchises straight first ;-)

LFC said...

You beat me to it. I just realized that before seeing yr comment and was going to write an update. But thks anyway! Yr first time commenting here so I achieved something ;)

LFC said...

For the record, I alerted PTJ to this post before I realized it was in error. But I did actually realize that it was in error before seeing his comment. Y'all just have to take my word on that. ;)